Sunday, May 19, 2013

Easy Sunday


Back again! Another nice and recharging free day!  The weather in Vina del Mar today is a bit colder and cloudier, don’t forget its fall, or “otoño”, in the southern hemisphere. Rest is exactly what I needed and it is what I got! After I woke up though, it was already time for coffee and lunch. We went down for a walk through the streets towards to ocean again to find some restaurants. When we got to the end of a road we found a nice looking Italian restaurant. I have been craving pasta for days so this was perfect! We made our way in, and were seated. Restaurants in a foreign country are always more difficult scenarios. Servers are rarely English-speaking and foods are some of the most impossible to figure out. One trick that I have figured out to help facilitate things is to as what the server recommends. I did this to order a meat and spinach ravioli dish with a creamy tomato sauce. Hit the spot exactly! Who knew I would miss pasta so much while having such great other foods while down here! We also got some much needed coffee with our lunch. It appears that Chileans are huge coffee drinkers. That or they aren’t huge fans of good-tasting coffee. Its killing me!  Almost everywhere exclusively serves Nescafe instant coffee. BLEH!!! First thing I’m getting when we get into Dallas is get a coffee to fulfill that craving next. I had a nice lazy afternoon after lunch before going to a fancy, fancy dinner at Tierra del Fuego, also the name of one the Southern-most region of continental Chile. After sundown, we walked to the coast with a cold breeze flowing over the whispering Pacific, on which Tierra del Fuego sat. We entered great glass box filled with dotted lights. Eagerly, we ascended to the upper level which had a perfect view of the twinkling lights of Valparaiso extending into the sea. Mammoth-sized steaks and sweat-smelling sea foods were served to the group, and we dined on a meal that I know I will never forget. Notably, this menu was similar to most other Chilean menus, in that it listed numerous sea foods and beef dishes, indicative of the resources of the country. After the feast, we moseyed back to the Hotel for a relaxing night before our last day for lectures with Jaime. I will be back to tell you everything I learned... after a night of a heavy sleep on a full stomach.  

No comments:

Post a Comment